- Audits all payrolls, bills, claims and demands against the city, upon certification by a department head that the amount is due and unpaid according to the records and information of said department.
- Prepares, signs and transmits to the Chamberlain an order directing the Chamberlain to pay compensation due to officers and employees listed on a payroll and the bills, claims or demands listed on each abstract showing the names of claimants, the amounts approved for payment and the funds chargeable therewith.
- Maintains a central payroll system and all social security, pension and insurance records required for city personnel.
- Controls all expenditures within the limits of legal authorization and budget appropriations; and unless the Controller shall certify that there is an unencumbered balance of appropriation and available funds, no appropriation shall be encumbered and no commitment or expenditure shall be made.
- Compiles and prepares the current expense and revenue estimates for the annual budget.
- Compiles and prepares the capital estimates for the annual budget, based upon such capital program as may be adopted by the Common Council.
- The City Controller serves as the Chief Financial Officer of the city. The Controller prescribes and enforces a general accounting system for the city government and each of its offices, departments and agencies.
- The Controller provides for the exercise of budgetary control for each separate appropriation account and establish procedures and practices for the preauditing and control of all city revenues and expenditures; the custody, receipt and disbursements of city moneys through the Chamberlain's Office; the safety and investment of the city's funds; the management of its debts; and the development of policies to safeguard the city's financial interest to the fullest extent.