Requests to Close a City Street
Applications can be made to the Department of Public Works to request the the closing of a city street for a neighborhood events. Larger community events that require three or more permits should follow the Special Event permitting process.
Please Note: this form should not be used for any type of street work (construction, tree removal, etc.), please see the page for Permits for Street and Sidewalk Work for more information.
- needed for events with more than 50 participants. Assembly Permits are approved by the Ithaca Police Department - Must be requested for all street closure events.
- Noise Permit needed for the use of amplified sound. Noise permits are issued by the Mayor's Office.
- needed if food will be commercially handled or sold (vendors must obtain this permit). Food permits are issued by the Tompkins County Department of Health.
A petition must be circulated among the residents along the street you are requesting to close. The residents must generally agree with the closing of the street. The petition is considered part of the application process and must be submitted to the Superintendent's Office prior to final approval being made.
- Upon approval, contact the Streets and Facilities office at 607-272-1718 to arrange pick-up of barricades used for the street closing.
- Removal of all trash generated during the street closure event is the responsibility of the applicant. Clean-up costs that result from failure to remove all trash will be billed to the permit applicant.
- The Superintendent will make a decision to permit, deny, or forward your request to the Board of Public Works for their approval. A written notification of approval or denial will be sent to the applicant. Denial appeals may be made to the Board of Public Works.
Approved requests will be sent to the Mayor's Office, Police and Fire Departments, and Streets and Facilities for their information.