Complete our Exploration Form (Step 1) AND the OFFICIAL APPLICATION (Step 2) at https://www.ipd-recruit.com ! Deadline to apply to take the written exam is AUGUST 7, 2023, and the test is on SEPTEMBER 9, 2023. The written Civil Service Exam will be in Ithaca, NY, but you can also cross-file if you take the same exam at a few other locations. Starting salary is $57,461 (2023) with an annual increase to $89,885 in just 3 years. Questions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Ithaca Police actively works to diversify our team.
- We work to attract, train, and retain quality candidates and officers.
- We are committed to our mission of Integrity, Professionalism, and Community.
- 20 or 25-year retirement with NYS Fire/ Police pension benefits.
- $57,461 starting salary with full salary during training.
- Top salary of $89,885 is achieved after 3 full years.
- Quality Blue Cross/ Blue Shield health benefits
- Vision, dental, and life insurance options
- The four-on-two-off schedule equates to about 8 hours per day, and it's rare to need to work for longer periods.
- Time-off options allow vacation blocks and several days off per year.
- No residential requirement means you'll have access to a variety of school systems and living locations.
- The Ithaca Police Department values training and invests in career development opportunities for its Officers.
- There are options for advancement as well as special assignments.
- We support continuing education.
- We are active participants in the many festivals and local events in the area.
- Ithaca Police Officers engage with the community in various ways, including being a bike officer, working in schools, and even wearing a public relations hat on occasion.
- The Ithaca Police Department frequently provides protection for peaceful protests and demonstrations.
- The Ithaca Police Department and Ithaca Fire Department compete in a friendly game of baseball each year.
- The area boasts a number of sports leagues and recreational organizations and clubs.
- NCAA sports are popular in the are because of Cornell University, Ithaca College, and Syracuse University.
Police officer positions are filled either by appointment from a civil service eligible list or by transfer from a municipal police agency in New York State (exclusive of New York City).
The police officer exam is generally offered every 2-3 years. Please check the City of Ithaca Human Resources Department website periodically for current information as to when the next scheduled police officer exam will be held.
Police officers who are currently employed on a permanent basis in a municipal police agency in New York State, exclusive of New York City, may apply for a transfer to the Ithaca Police Department by submitting a cover letter and City of Ithaca employment application form (available on the City of Ithaca Human Resources website) to:
City of Ithaca Human Resources Department
108 East Green Street
Ithaca NY 14850.
Additional questions regarding employment as a police officer may be directed to the City of Ithaca Human Resources Department at 607-274-6539.
- City of Ithaca Human Resources
108 East Green Street
We ask you to join us in our mission to keep Ithaca a safe and healthy community.
Please visit the IPD Facebook page for more information on the vital role that the Ithaca Police Department serves in helping to keep Ithaca a beautiful and vibrant place to live, work, and visit.