Join the Sustainability and Climate Justice Commission!
The city is seeking individuals to help shape and implement its ambitious climate and social justice goals by serving on a Sustainability and Climate Justice Advisory Commission. The advisory commission will play a key role in supporting and advancing sustainability initiatives related to the City’s Green New Deal and will work in collaboration with staff to advise Council and provide essential support including:
- Provide guidance and professional expertise from community leaders and subject area experts.
- Conduct public outreach and gather input on critical sustainability initiatives such as the Climate Action Plan, net zero transportation, community choice aggregation, electrification, etc.
- Identify and propose needed policies and programs.
- Review and evaluate proposals, programs, and policies in order to advise Common Council
- Monitor and evaluate the progress of initiatives.
Ideal candidates will come from diverse backgrounds and interests related to finance and economics, community engagement, social equity, energy, engineering, government and sustainability related work. The Commission meets monthly and will be supported by City staff. Although most members must be City residents, a limited number of non-resident positions are available. The City of Ithaca is committed to Equity and Inclusion. We encourage those with similar values to apply.
We will review applications and hope to make appointments at the March or April Council Meeting. Thank you for your interest!