- City Clerk/Public Information & Technology
- Taxicab Rates & Regulations
Taxicab Rates & Regulations
The following taxicab rates were adopted by Common Council on February 3, 2016, and remain in effect.
For trips that begin and end in the City of Ithaca, the base rate is as follows:
Day-time rate (between the hours of 6:00 am - 6:00 pm) - $7.50
Night-time rate (between the hours of 6:00 pm - 6:00 am) - $8.00
Additional charges that may be applied to the base rate if applicable:
- Children. One child 5 years of age or under shall ride free if accompanied by an adult passenger.
- Seniors. Passengers 65 years of age or older shall be granted a $1.50 discount.
- Additional Passengers. Drivers may charge $1.50 for each additional passenger of the same party and same destination.
- Baggage: A $3.00 surcharge will be charged for oversized luggage and trunks that weigh 50 pounds or more.
- Exclusive rides. A passenger may request an exclusive ride through the dispatcher when arranging for transportation. If a passenger is not willing to share a ride with others, a $3.00 surcharge will be applied to the regular fare.
- Waiting time. After a person has hired a taxicab, there shall be no charge for up to five minutes during which the taxicab wits for the passenger at the passenger's request. There shall be a charge of $2.50 for each additional five minutes or any portion thereof.
- Fuel surcharge. In the event of an energy/gasoline crisis or when gasoline prices exceed $4.00 per gallon for a period of 30 days or longer, a fuel surcharge may be implemented by Common Council. This surcharge will be added to the base fare.
Rates for Trips Outside of the City
The rates for trips that start in the City of Ithaca but end outside of the City are as follows:
East Hill Plaza $11.00 Cayuga Medical Center $11.00
Malls/Triphammer Area $12.00 Convenient Care $15.00
Ithaca College $11.00 Tompkins County Airport $17.50
TC3 $31.00 Trumansburg $30.00
- The driver may require pre-payment of all charges.
- Tip solicitation: No driver shall solicit tips, gratuities, or any additional charges other than those authorized. Voluntary tipping is permitted.
See Chapter 232, Article VI of the City of Ithaca Municipal Code for the complete regulations.
If you have a concern about the quality of service you received, or if you have questions about the City's taxicab legislation, please contact the City Clerk's Office at (607) 274-6570 or firstname.lastname@example.org