Filing an Appeal with the Board of Public Works

Filing an Appeal or Protest with the Board of Public Works
If you have received an invoice for any of the following services provided to you and you do not agree with the amount, if you feel you have been damaged, you may file an appeal or protest with the Board of Public Works:
  • Water or sewer service or repair
  • Snow removal from a sidewalk
  • Recycling / Trash removal
  • Property restoration related to snow plowing
  • Automobile damage associated with potholes
  • Sidewalk assessments
  • Tree related concerns
To file an appeal, please write a letter to:
Board of Public Works
c/o Michael Thorne
Superintendent of Public Works
108 E. Green St.
Ithaca, NY 14850

Please be as specific and detailed in the letter as possible, explaining what you are protesting, why, and what you would like to happen (i.e. expunge the invoice, etc.). Send any backup information you may have with your letter, including the invoice you are protesting. Photos, if applicable, are helpful. If you have any questions regarding these instructions, please contact the Superintendent's Office at 607-274-6527.