What does a typical water service look like?
This figure shows the components of a typical residential water service in the City of Ithaca.
  1. Water Main - Typically cast iron or ductile iron pipe in the street
  2. Corporation Stop - A valve installed while tapping into the main
  3. Copper pipe - The smallest water service meeting city code is a 3/4-inch Type K copper pipe
  4. Curb Valve Box - This cast iron box allows access to the curb stop (See #5). It is the property owner's responsibility to make sure that the curb box is always visible and accessible
  5. Curb Stop - A valve typically installed in the street right-of-way
  6. Isolation Valves - Valves are required by code on both sides of the water meter
  7. Water Meter - The water meter is sized to match your water service and installed by our Meter Department
  8. Property Line
  9. Responsibility of Property Owner - The property owner is responsible for maintaining the curb valve box (See #4) and all piping from the curb stop into the house
  10. Responsibility of the City - Once the water service is brought up to code (Minimum 3/4-inch Type K Copper), the city is responsible for all maintenance and repairs from the main in the street to the curb stop

Show All Answers

1. My water is rusty or red. What should I do?
2. I have no water. Whom should I contact?
3. There is water flowing from the ground or a damaged fire hydrant. Whom do I contact?
4. There was a backup in my sewer line. Who pays to unclog the line?
5. How do I apply for a new water or sewer service?
6. What does a typical sewer service look like?
7. What does a typical water service look like?